Match Report
Woodhouse Grove School Boys-U12A vs  Birkdale School
On: Saturday, 09 Mar 2019
Venue: at Home

A strong team performance saw Woodhouse Grove emerge as 3-1 winners against a solid Birkdale team. With driving rain making for unpleasant conditions, Woodhouse Grove started quickly; Harry Bates and new midfield partner Arun Rai took control of the game in the opening exchanges and the early dominance was rewarded when Cameron Bojas scored two near identical goals in rapid succession. Showing both technique and composure, Bojas slotted his first into the net after good work from Tom Fell set him free down the left.

Less than a minute later, the Birkdale keeper was picking the ball out of the net again and once again it was Bojas with another cool finish, passing the ball into the net from the edge of the area after Harry Bates had played him in behind the defence. With Ben Saia and Joey Hall looking impenetrable at the heart of Woodhouse's defence, Birkdale were pinned back in their own half for much of the opening stanza and it was Archie Pierson who forced an own goal shortly before half-time, pressuring a Birkdale defender into lunging at the ball which cruelly flew past the keeper.

Birkdale briefly threatened to come back into the game when they pulled one back in the second half but a fine performance at CDM from debutant Jake Fawcett helped to ease the pressure on WGS as he set about the task of breaking up opposition attacks and feeding quick balls forward to keep Birkdale at bay.

On the rare occasions that Birkdale did manage to get shots on target, Alex Baker showed excellent concentration to stay alert and get his body behind the ball. Leo Horsley and James Flynn both put in excellent shifts in defensive areas of the pitch, working selflessly throughout the match to prevent Birkdale from getting a foothold in the match.

Daniel Littlejohns showed once again why he is so valuable to the team, using his physical strength and delicate touch to link the midfield and attack throughout. Will Gray was a threat every time he touched the ball, beating his man time and again down the right wing and finding teammates in dangerous areas with crisp passes all afternoon.

All in all, it was a fine team performance that helped WGS prevail but the man-of-the-match award had to go to Cameron Bojas whose early brace proved to be crucial in establishing control of the match in the early stages.